Tuesday, October 13, 2009

selfless model


After traveling alone for the past couple years I have come to realize the importance of people in my life. My few good friends, siblings, parents and parental figures always share a smile and brightness of character with me. I will always have ambitions and work to do, but at the end of the day it is being able to love other people that brings a consistent purpose to my life.

I am not sure if I would have believed it if someone told me when I was younger I would have a career in modeling. I had straight A's and competed in sports. It seemed that my future was in getting a scholarship and going to university. In high school I was scouted out a few times, but didn't see myself as exceptionally beautiful or a model. I never took the initiative to seek a career as a model until my last year of high school. Why not take a chance with my future to travel and experience more? That was when I met my current manager, Chantale Nadeau. She has been beyond amazing and has placed me with over 8 top agencies internationally, and is a constant support and role model to me.

The past 2 years have been extra ordinary. I have enjoyed my experiences thus far and am glad I did choose to model. The people I get to meet and work with, and the places have traveled are more than what I could have imagined. My next destination is to visit my great Aunt Muriel, or as I call her, Aunt Moo. I grew up living in the same town as Aunt Moo. What I remember most when I was growing up was how she always told me of the angels in my life, teaching me how to be gracious of my blessings and always find happiness in what I do. I aim to be as active and youthful in spirit as Aunt Moo. She is nearly 80 years old and instructs water aerobics, something she has been doing since she moved to Kauai.

So this season I will be in Hawaii. Her husband died earlier this year and I missed seeing her when she visited my parents in Canada this past spring, so a visit is long overdue. Recently she had knee surgery but is back in the water teaching again so she doesn't really need my help, but the best thing about the visit will be the time spent together. Aunt Moo is incredibly positive, strong and beautiful.. characteristics important to have, not only in the modeling industry, but in life. She is my inspiration to continue to seek and achieve my goals. In my near future I will start university courses studying psychology, biology and health and environmental sciences, while continuing to model. In the long term I want to write children's books and work with young women.

Whatever it is I am doing, I want to be giving back. Giving is very important to me and a reward in itself. I am committed to everything I work at.. for my career, relationships and health. Being connected to others motivates me experience more in life to share. I feel fortunate to have people like my Aunt Moo who inspire me. I know it will be a wonderful excursion to listen to all her wisdom and enjoy her laugh.. and Hawaii isn't too bad either.

the archives