Monday, November 16, 2009

Introducing Rachel Rose Scott


Growing up in a small town in Louisiana, Rachel Scott always knew that she belonged in New York City. Although modeling wasn’t her goal at first, her mother often suggested that she maybe consider it. “I look exactly like my mom,” she says. “We’re like twins.”


At the age of 16, while riding home from school she heard a radio announcement about a Pro Scout model call. Although she previously had doubts about joining the modeling industry, she jumped at this opportunity. “The open call was at the local Holiday Inn. I made it through the first round. At the second round I met the booker for Elite Model Management and he signed me that day.”


While finishing high school, Rachel made frequent trips back and forth from Louisiana to New York. “It was tough. I missed a lot of school. I missed my first day of Senior Year because I was shooting in New York.” Soon after, Rachel moved to Harlem and lived with roommates. “I stayed in the model apartments a few times,” she said. “But I wanted to be independent.”


She and a fellow Elite model spent 2 months in Hong Kong, walking in Market Week shows for designers such as Calvin Klein, Valentino, and Versace. She also booked a campaign for the Hong Kong version of Forever 21. “Being in Hong Kong was a culture shock,” she recalls. “The language barrier was really difficult. One client got really mad and screamed at me because I couldn’t understand what he wanted me to do. In Asia they want you to copy exactly what you see in the inspiration picture. You can’t add your own interpretation.” Rachel also walked in a few shows for the Spring/ Summer 2010 New York Fashion week, one being Rebecca Minkoff. She describes the fashion week experience in one word: Crazy.



It’s been 4 years since Rachel first started her career with Elite. She’s currently signed with Race and in the next 5 years Rachel says she would like to go to college and major in English or Creative writing. “Id also like to have a serious relationship,” she said. “I’ve never really had one because of my career. In 5 years I’d like to try being a normal person [laughs]. But definitely still live in New York City.”


by Jasmine Pierce

the archives